BBCL Rewards Terms and Conditions
“You”, “your” and “Cardholder” means the Primary Cardholder to whom a Card is issued.
“We,” “our,” “us,” “BBCL”, “the Bank” and BBCL Group mean, as applicable, Belize Bank Corporation Limited and its branches, parent, subsidiaries and affiliates.
“Annual” means the calendar year (January –December of any year).
“Business days” means any day (other than Sundays and statutory holidays) on which the supplier is open for business.
“Cap” means the maximum number of Points you can earn in any consecutive twelve-month period based on the total net monthly purchases made by you and any Additional and Supplemental Cardholder when using a Card.
“Card” means a BBCL Visa or MasterCard Card we issue in connection with a Card Account and all renewals and replacements of that Card which participates in the Program.
“Card Account” means the Visa or MasterCard Card account opened in your name by BBCL.
“Card Agreement” means the BBCL Visa or MasterCard Cardholder Agreement between you and us.
“Cardholder” means a Primary Cardholder, Additional Cardholder or Supplemental Cardholder.
“Card Rewards” means airline or other travel rewards and Travel Expense Credits redeemed as part of the Program as set out herein.
“Cash Back” means the redemption of Points in exchange for a reduction of the outstanding Card Account balance subject to the terms and conditions contained in the Cash Back section of these Terms and Conditions.
“Local Time” means the local time in Belize.
“Net Monthly Purchases” means Qualifying Purchases performed during a month less refunds, merchandise returns and disputed charges posted to the account during the same period.
“Points” mean the points credited to your Card Account for Qualifying Purchases.
“Points Account” means the account opened in your name for crediting and debiting of Points earned or redeemed in connection with the Program.
“Primary Cardholder” and “Additional Cardholder” mean, respectively, the person who signed or submitted the Card Application as a Primary Cardholder or Additional Cardholder, as the case may be, and whose name is on the Card Account or to whom a Card on the Card Account has been issued, other than a Supplemental Cardholder.
“Program” means the promotional incentive program operated by BBCL under which you earn Points every time you make a Qualifying Purchase with a valid Card and which Points are redeemable for Card Rewards or Cash Back.
“Qualifying Purchase” means any retail, signature-based purchase, internet purchase, phone or mail order purchase, or automatic bill payment made with a Card for personal, household or family purposes. Payments of existing Card balances, balance transfers, cash advances, ATM transactions, convenience and credit card cheques, finance charges, insurance premiums, annual fees or other fees, credits, disputed transactions, fraudulent transactions or penalties, , money orders, wire transfers and similar products and services are not Qualifying Purchases. We reserve the right to determine in our sole discretion whether a particular Card transaction is a Qualifying Purchase.
“Supplemental Cardholder” means a person to whom we have issued a Card on your Card Account at your request.
“Travel Expense Credit” means the credit for the amount of your travel purchase(s) made using your Card that is applied to your Card Account as a result of having redeemed sufficient and available points from your Points Account.
By signing, activating, or using your Card, you agree that you have received and read these Program Terms and Conditions and agree to be bound by them.
In addition to these Program Terms and Conditions, your Card Agreement with us shall continue to govern your use of your Card and the Program. In the event of a conflict between the Card Agreement and these Program Terms and Conditions, the Card Agreement will govern, except Program Terms and Conditions shall govern in any matter relating to the Program.
The Program is automatically available to all BBCL Primary Cardholders with Card Accounts in good standing. We reserve the right to determine, in our sole discretion, whether a particular Card or Cardholder is eligible to participate in the Program. Membership in the Program is limited to natural persons and no corporation, trust, partnership or other entity is eligible for membership in the Program.
- In order to redeem your Points, your Card Account must remain in good standing during the operation of the Program. In order for your Card Account to be considered to be in good standing, your Card Account must not be (i) delinquent, charged off, in credit revoked status or otherwise in default of the Card Agreement or (ii) cancelled or closed by you or us.
- Points may only be redeemed during the operation of the Program.
- We may, in our sole discretion, without notice, suspend or terminate your participation in the Program, cancel your Points Account and your Points if you (i) violate any of these Program Terms and Conditions, as amended from time to time, (ii) declare personal bankruptcy (iii) misrepresent any information to us or (iv) engage in fraud or abuse relating to the Program.
- You will forfeit all of your unredeemed Points that have accumulated in your Points Account if your Card Account is delinquent for 90 days or more.
- Points or Card Rewards are personal to you and cannot be assigned, traded, willed or otherwise transferred except with our express written permission and in accordance with the terms of these Program Terms and Conditions and any assignment or transfer in violation of these Program Terms and Conditions will be considered to be null and void and may, in our sole discretion, result in the cancellation of your Points or the applicable Card Reward(s) or the termination of your membership in the Program.
- Subject to any applicable annual cap amount, you will earn one (1) Point for the equivalent value (in local currency of US$1 (or such other dollar amount as we may in our sole discretion determine) in Net Monthly Purchases charged to your Card Account. Net Monthly Purchases will be rounded down to the nearest whole dollar to determine the number of Points to be posted to your Points Account.
- Unless we otherwise authorise in writing no Points will be awarded for any purchases made for non-personal or commercial purposes.
- Points have no cash value and do not constitute your property for any purpose. Points may be used for Card Rewards only in accordance with these Program Terms and Conditions.
- Every month, your Card statement will set out the Points balance brought forward from your previous statement, the number of Points earned since your previous statement, the number of Points redeemed or adjusted and your new Points balance. Points information is also available by registering and logging on to www.bbclcardrewards.com or by calling our Call Centre at the number provided to you in the Welcome Kit or indicated on the back of your Card.
- Qualifying Purchases made while the Card is not in good standing will not accrue any Points.
- Points will be deducted for any returns, credits or chargebacks made for previously billed Qualifying Purchases and in respect of which Points were previously awarded. Should the number of Points to be deducted in respect of such returns, credits or chargebacks exceed your available Points balances, Points awarded in respect of subsequent Qualifying Purchases will be applied to reduce the negative balance in your Points Account.
- Qualifying Purchases made by Additional Cardholders or Supplemental Cardholders with Cards will earn Points for the Points Account of the Primary Cardholder only. There will be one set of Points for Qualifying Purchases made with all Cards issued on any given Card Account. Authorized Additional (secondary/co-applicant) and Supplementary Cardholders are not participants in the Program and have no rights against us.
- Welcome bonus points may be issued by us to customers who apply for a new Card as a Primary Cardholder at such times and on such conditions as we may, in our sole discretion, determine. Bonus points will not be issued to Additional or Supplementary Cardholders or for Card replacements.
- Points are not transferable from one Points Account to another. However, if you are the Primary Cardholder on more than one Card Account, you may combine the accumulated Points on these Card Accounts at redemption.
- Upon the Bank receiving notice of the death of a Primary Cardholder, the Primary Cardholder’s estate may redeem the outstanding Points within 60 days of closure of the Card Account, after which the unredeemed Points will be forfeited. For joint Card Accounts, the co-applicant may redeem the Points within 60 days of the closure of the Card Account or request the transfer of Points to a new Points Account. Points cannot be exchanged for cash.
- Any obligation to report the accrual or redemption of Points and any liability for taxes arising therefrom is your responsibility.
- All Card Rewards and travel tickets and other travel documentation will only be delivered to the Cardholder and only to an address in the country in which the Card is issued.
- There is an Annual cap of US$200,000, and no Points will be awarded on any Qualifying net Purchases made beyond the US$200,000 yearly amount. This Annual cap applies to the total Points earned on your account regardless of the number of Additional and/or Supplementary Cardholders on the account.
REDEMPTION OF POINTS
- Points may be redeemed for Card Rewards or Cash Back only, and in accordance with the terms as set out herein. Card Rewards are not exchangeable or transferable.
- To redeem Points for a travel package, reservations must be made by calling BBCL at the number provided to you in the Welcome kit or indicated on the back of the Card, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Atlantic Standard Time). You may not redeem your Points through any other travel agencies or airline companies.
- A minimum of 20,000 Points must be redeemed in connection with each travel package, except when promotional offers are made.
You may buy additional Points in order to get the desired travel package. Additional Points may be purchased at a rate of $.03 USD per Point. You may purchase up to a maximum of 20% of the total Points required for any desired travel package.
- For air travel, Points will be converted using the Card Program Air Travel Redemption Chart below (which forms part of these Program Terms and Conditions), as amended from time to time. For travel packages (for example: hotel, car rentals, cruises, and other related packages) other than air travel, Points will be converted to dollars at a rate of 100 Points to US$1.50 and the amount so determined is subtracted from the total cost of the travel package.
- Travel arrangements must be booked at least 14 business days in advance of travel. Should you need to make a booking for air travel less than 14 business days in advance of travel, your Points will be redeemed at a rate of 100 Points to US$1.50. For example if the cost of the travel is the equivalent (in your local currency) of US$1,500, you will need 100,000 Points to redeem this Card Reward.
- Card Rewards are valid for travel between two cities using the most direct route as we or the airline issuing the ticket or other applicable travel provider may determine. Travel is subject to the conditions of carriage and other specified conditions of the applicable travel provider. One stopover is permitted en route to the final destination as long as your flight connection is on the next immediate flight to the final destination and subject to the conditions of carriage and other specified conditions of the airline issuing the ticket or other applicable travel provider.
- All advertised Card Rewards are subject to availability by the travel suppliers, hotels or any other applicable supplier. All information related to Card Rewards can be found on our website at www.bbclcardrewards.com.
- The Cardholder will receive written confirmation of the reservations within two weeks of the date reservations were made and verbally confirmed by the Primary Cardholder. E-mail communications will be considered to be written confirmation for the purposes of this paragraph.
- You are responsible for payment of all taxes, fees, levies, surcharges and service fees including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, income tax, sales and value added tax, departure and transportation taxes and fees, airport improvement fees, excess baggage charges, immigration fees, fuel surcharges, landing fees, security charges, insurance, customs duties and charges, governmental fees and levies and passenger facilities charges, and other non-ticket costs or any other taxes, fees and charges which may be imposed. You may redeem Points to pay taxes and other related costs incurred by the agency during the booking process at a rate of 100 Points to US$1.50.
- You authorize us to charge to your Card any Program-related purchases you make when you call BBCL.
- Subject to the cancellation policies of the travel supplier, you may cancel any portion or your entire Card Rewards reservation. In some cases, such as non-refundable tickets, CANCELLATIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED OR MAY BE SUBJECT TO CANCELLATION FEES. All such fees will be charged to the Card Account and are non-refundable.
- If the cancellation of a Card Reward is allowed, the portion of Points refunded by the travel carrier for the Travel Reward will be credited back to your Points Account at a rate of 100 Points per US$1.50 of refund credit.
- We may send electronic communications to you, including electronic mail and/or postings to the Program website. If you provide an e-mail address to us, you authorize us to send any e-tickets and other travel information to this address. All e-mail communications from us to you shall be deemed delivered to you when sent or and other electronic communications shall be deemed delivered to you when posted on our Program website. You release us from any liability or claim as a result of your non-receipt of such documentation sent to you through these means. You are responsible for advising us of any change of your mailing or e-mail address.
- If you do not provide an e-mail address, all relevant travel documentation will be sent to you by ordinary mail, provided sufficient advance notice has been given (i.e. at least 14 business days prior to the departure time). When travel is within two weeks of confirmation, all relevant documentation will be faxed, if possible, or delivered by courier at your expense. Since most courier services do not guarantee weekend deliveries or may require more than 24 hours delivery time for some areas, alternative arrangements may be made at your expense. Points cannot be used to cover these charges.
- Paper tickets and other travel documentation cannot be delivered to addresses outside of the country in which your Card is issued. Shipments cannot be made to a post office box. You are required to pay all shipping and handling fees for delivery. Points cannot be used to cover these charges.
- The Cash Back option is available for Cards that are open on BBCL’s system. Cash back cannot be credited to Cards which are closed on BBCL’s system.
- The minimum number of Points that you can redeem at any one time is 500. This means that you may only redeem 500 Points or more.
- If you redeemed once and the remaining point balance falls below 500 Points the minimum redemption threshold will still apply, you will not be able to redeem those points.
- Each Point redeemed using the Cash Back option converts to BZ$0.02 or to such other rate as may be determined by BBCL from time to time in its sole discretion.
- Cash Back will be credited in local currency to the Primary Cardholder account only.
- Cancellation of request for redemption can be done on the same day the request was made only.
- You are required to make the minimum payment due as indicated in your Card statement by the payment due date even if the amount of the Cash Back credit from redemption of your Points is sufficient to cover the minimum payment due or the entire outstanding balance of the Card Account.
- To redeem your Points for Cash Back, you must call BBCL at the number provided to you in the Welcome Kit or indicated on the back of your Card, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. (Local Time).
- Cash Back will usually be posted to your Card Account within 7 to 15 business days after redemption.
(i) Cash Back redemption chart to be used for Cash Back only.
|Points Rewarded||BZ $ Value|
TRAVEL EXPENSE CREDITS
- Points can be redeemed in exchange for a Travel Expense Credit.
- You must redeem a minimum of 10,000 points and in increments of 10,000 points thereafter at a pre-determined conversion rate of US$0.015 for every 1 Point. For example, redemption of 20,000 Points would result in the equivalent of a US$300 Travel Expense Credit being applied to your Card Account. Redemption of 30,000 Points would result in the equivalent of a US$450 Travel Expense Credit being applied to your Card Account.
- In order to redeem for previous travel purchases, you must have sufficient Points in your Points Account to cover the full redemption cost of the selected ticket or travel purchase. Partial redemptions are available to the extent you have Points available in your Points Account, subject to the minimum initial redemption requirement of 10,000 Points and in increments of 10,000 Points thereafter. For example, if the cost of the travel purchase is US$300 and you have 20,000 Points, you can redeem 20,000 Points for the equivalent of a US$300 Travel Expense Credit.
- Travel Expense Credits cannot be used and/or applied towards the minimum payment amount due on your Card Account. You must pay the minimum amount due indicated in your Card statement by the payment due date even if the amount of the Travel Expense Credit is sufficient to cover the minimum payment due or the entire outstanding balance of your Card Account.
- Redemptions of Points can be made for a Travel Expense Credit within 90 days of the transaction date (i.e. 90 days from the date the transaction was made) to your Card Account.
- To redeem your Points for a Travel Expense Credit, you must call BBCL at the number provided to you in the Welcome Kit or indicated on the back of your Card, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. (Local Time).
- Travel Expense Credits will usually be posted to your Card Account within 7 to 10 business days after redemption.
- We are not liable for and you release us from any and all claims in respect of:
- Any accident, loss, damage or injury you or those travelling with or without you suffer while travelling on a Card Reward which may be caused or contributed to by travel or other suppliers or by any other cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the direct control of BBCL or Visa Inc. or Mastercard International Inc., their respective affiliated companies and their directors, officers, employees and agents.
- Any loss or damage you suffer by reason of the loss or theft of your Card Rewards or paper or electronic tickets or other travel documentation delivered to you through any means.
- Loss or theft of any Travel Reward.
- Suspension or termination of the Program for any reason.
- Suspension or termination of your membership in the Program, the closing of your Points Account, or the cancellation, forfeiture or invalidation of any or all of your Points.
- Cancellation of any Travel Reward.
- Limitation on availability, delay or cancellation of flights or other form of travel or cancellation or unavailability of any accommodation or service in connection with any travel package.
- Changes to airlines’ black-out dates or any changes to Travel Reward levels.
- Non-availability of any requested award.
- Correspondence which is lost or delayed in the mail or otherwise or misdirected communications such as mail or e-mail or any consequences thereof.
- Non-delivery by a travel supplier of any travel package or failure to provide a travel package as described.
- Our failure to provide you with a Points statement.
- Any errors or omissions in any catalogue and other sources.
- Claims resulting from performance or failure to perform by a supplier.
- BBCL makes no warranties or representations of any kind regarding the Program, which is provided on an as-is basis. BBCL expressly disclaims any warranty and conditions including implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, non-infringement, and those arising by statute or otherwise in law or from a course of dealing or usage of trade of any travel package.
- In no event will BBCL or the BBCL Group or Visa International Incorporated or Mastercard International Inc. be liable to you for any consequential, incidental, exemplary or punitive damages. Points cannot under any circumstances form the basis of a monetary claim against BBCL, the BBCL Group, Visa Inc., MasterCard International Inc. or any of their respective affiliates, directors, officers, agents or employees.
- All documentation, including tickets are issued subject to the general rules, regulations, tariffs and terms of transportation established by the supplier of such products and services. None, of the Bank, Visa Inc. or Mastercard International are agents for any supplier of such products and services.
- Should you decide to cancel the Card and close your Card Account, you may redeem any unused Points within 60 days of closing your Card Account, provided the Card Account is in good standing, and you are not in breach of the Card Agreement at the time of closure. After 60 days, all unredeemed Points will be forfeited. If we cancel or revoke your Card for any reason, you will not be eligible to redeem your accumulated Points and all accumulated points on the cancelled Card Account will be forfeited.
- Cancelled Card Accounts will be ineligible to earn Points after the cancellation date. If the Card has been lost or stolen, all applicable Points will be transferred to a new Points Account.
- Customers should examine all Card Account statements including Points Account balances and entries carefully. In case of errors, you should notify us, in writing, within 30 days from the statement date. After 90 days from the statement date, our records of your Points Account and the details of any transactions will be considered correct and binding upon you. Thereafter, we will be released from any claim with regard to your Points Account.
- You are responsible to advise us of any changes of address or contact information.
- You must have Points earning or redemption activity at least once every 36 months (calculated on from the anniversary date of the first Points accrual and every 36 months thereafter) in order to retain your Points. Points expire after 36 months of accrual.
- We may share, exchange and disclose such information about you with other parties, such as participating partners, merchants or service providers, as required to administer the Program or to fulfil the redemption requests under the Program or pursuant to a court order or pursuant to a governmental agency holding legislative power to compel such disclosure. All collection, use and disclosure of your personal information shall be in accordance with the BBCL Group Privacy Agreement.
- We may change, modify or delete any aspect of the Program and these Program Terms and Conditions, regulations, Card Rewards and special offers at any time without prior notice to you. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Program changes may include, but are not limited to, (i) changes to the restrictions, benefits or features in whole or in part applicable to the Program; (ii) changes to any Card Reward(s) or Cash Back, (iii) changes to the Points required to be redeemed for any Card Rewards or Cash Back, or (iv) changes to the formula upon which Points are earned. In addition, we may place additional conditions and restrictions on Points collection, consolidation, conversion, exchange, redemption, combination or transfer, including caps on the number of Points you can collect each year, minimum and maximum Point limits and restrictions on types of benefits that may be obtained.
- We will notify you of any changes to the Program or the Program Terms and Conditions in accordance with applicable law and in any of the following ways: a notice on our website at www.bbclcardrewards.com, a notice in our branches, a notice in your monthly statement, a notice prominently displayed on our ATMs, or a notice addressed to you at your last address in our records. We will post the revised Program Terms and Conditions on our website at www.bbclcardrewards.com. Your continued use of the Card Account means that you agree to and accept the new Program Terms and Conditions as amended. If you do not agree with any of the changes made or with the revised Program Terms and Conditions, you must immediately stop using the Card Account and notify us that you are terminating your participation in the Program.
- You may view the current Program Terms and Conditions by visiting www.bbclcardrewards.com or you may call BBCL Call Centre at the telephone number provided to you in the Welcome Package you receive with your Card to pick up a paper copy or you may inquire at your local BBCL branch.
- Tthe Program has no predetermined termination date and may continue until BBCL decides, in its sole discretion, to terminate the Program. We may suspend or terminate the Program at any time without prior notice to you. Cardholders will have 60 days from the date BBCL announces the termination of the Program to redeem Points. BBCL must receive requests for redemption of Points within 60 days from the date BBCL announces the termination of the Program. Any suspension or termination of this Program may result in the forfeiture of all accrued Points.
- Program membership is a privilege, which can be revoked or limited by us at our discretion at any time and without compensation.
- Fraud or abuse of Points use may be subject to immediate administrative or even legal action.
- All interpretations of the Program Terms and Conditions as well as all questions or disputes regarding eligibility for the Program, the availability of any offers or travel packages or of a Cardholders compliance with the Program Terms and Conditions shall be resolved by BBCL in its sole discretion. Questions or disputes concerning Points will be determined according to the Program Terms and Conditions in effect when the subject Qualifying Purchases are posted to your Card Account.
- You agree that any and all disputes, claims or causes of action arising out of or connected with the Program or any travel package provided pursuant to this Program, to the extent the same is not within BBCL’s sole discretion as provided in these Program Terms and Conditions and is not governed by the terms and conditions established by the supplier of that travel package, shall be exclusively governed by the laws of Belize, to the exclusion of the courts of any other state, territory or country. You hereby waive any venue or other objection that you may have to any such action or proceeding being brought in any court other than in Belize.
(i) Travel redemption chart to be used for flight travel only
|Round Trip Destinations||# of Points Required|
|Within the Caribbean||20,000||40,000|
|Caribbean to Miami (MIA), Orlando (MCO), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), & New York (JFK & LGA)||20,000||40,000|
|Caribbean to North American East Coast (excluding destinations listed above)||30,000||60,000|
|Caribbean to North American West Coast||50,000||100,000|
|Caribbean to Central America, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela||50,000||100,000|
|Caribbean to Europe||70,000||140,000|
|Return airfares within the Continental USA||30,000||60,000|
|One way airfares and destinations not listed above||Variable|
(ii) Any flights from the originating regions mentioned on the chart above would be priced for redemption as per the Points mentioned in the table.
(iii) Any flights from the originating regions mentioned “Variable” will be priced at US$0.015 per Point. For example, if a ticket costs US$1,500, you would need 100,000 Points to be able to use the variable rate.
(iv) Any flights from or between regions outside of the regions mentioned on the chart will be priced at US$0.015 per Point.
(v) For other travel benefits like hotels, car rentals, cruises and other travel related packages, Points are converted to dollars off the cost of any hotel, tour package or cruise reservations for any destination at a rate of 100 Points to US$1.50.
(vi) Any travel demands with less than 14 days from the date of travel would be priced at US$0.015 per Point.
(vii) All flights need to originate from the country of Cardholder domicile.
Conversion to local currency:
US$1 = Belize dollar $2 BZ
◊ Conversion rates are subject to change in BBCL’s sole and absolute discretion without prior notice to you.